There are a number of things that can be done to create a safe home environment, preventing falls and injury. Here is just a few.
- Keep all rooms free of clutter, especially the floors.
- Keep floors clean and dry but not slippery.
- Make sure all carpets and area rugs have skid proof backing or are firmly secured to the floor.
- Install grab bars on bathroom walls beside tubs, showers and toilets.
- Ensure that light switches are located near the entry points of each room.
If you or a loved one have had a recent fall, you may be eligible for home health services. Talk to your doctor about the options available to you.
-Carolyn Miller, Physician Liaison